The traditional approach.
White board. A stuffy conference room. Florescent lights. Congealed take out food. Dried out markers. Illegible scribbles and erase marks. Another late night. And though you might love the people you work with - there’s got to be a better way to crystalize a vision, tackle a strategic problem, or come up with fresh innovative ideas.
The HEAD LANDS approach.
Blue sky. The team meets at a trailhead in the morning, and sets out silently on a hike. Throughout the hike, each person is handed printed cards, customized with questions and ideas around the challenges the team is facing. These are meant to spark thinking and reflection. We hike for a couple of hours, taking breaks to check out the scenery. Then we stop. The team is different than when they started. More connected. More awake. Even though no words have been spoken. It is from this place we start to talk - to generate ideas, capture insights, and create an action plan for moving forward.
HEAD LANDS is the secret weapon of innovative organizations.
While modern business runs on modern technology - smart phones, tablets, computers - there's a point where those get in the way of generating good ideas, seeing new angles, and staying focused on what's important. There are other intelligences we can tap into, if we give ourselves the right space and setting.
On guided hikes, HEAD LANDS works with forward-thinking teams who are looking to:
- Crystalize a vision or mission
- Find creative solutions to strategic problems
- Brainstorm (Hikestorm!)
- Learn new ways of working together
- Grow business amid shifting landscapes and markets
- Clarity around strategy and how to implement it
- A re-energized team with a renewed sense of purpose
- Marching Orders for who’s going to do what and when
We spend a portion of every hike moving silently. Because there is a lot more intelligence available to you beyond your rational mind if you just get quiet enough to hear it. Because moving as a group without speaking connects you in ways you can’t understand until you experience it.
- Because fresh air gives you fresh perspective.
- Because nature is a great teacher.
- Because when you stretch your legs, you can stretch your mind, and go back inside inspired to do the best work of your life.